This refreshing and light but luxurious Whipped Yogurt Mousse is studded with fresh fruits and elevated by the addition of whipped evaporated milk and fresh cream.
This was one of the very first recipes I developed as a teenager. My mother had been making desserts using fruit, jelly and evaporated milk for as long as I can remember, and the texture was light and very delicate.
One summer, after a particularly hot day when the mousse seemed to melt into a puddle in the dessert bowl, I decided that her recipe needed tweaking to make it more robust.
I created the Whipped Yogurt mousse using my mum’s original recipe and adding more jelly for a deeper flavor and firmer structure and fresh whipped cream to make it more lush and decadent. It is an easy and quick dessert that can be ready in less than an hour, as long as the evaporated milk has been chilled overnight.
Whipped Yogurt Mousse with jelly and evaporated milk
- 350 ml Evaporated milk approximately 1 can, chilled overnight
- 160 grams jelly powder approximately 2 packets
- 250 ml boiling water to dilute the jelly powder
- 500 ml full cream fruit yoghurt same flavour as the jelly
- 250 ml whipping cream lightly whipped
- 250 ml fresh fruit pieces
- Chill the evaporated milk for 24 hours before making the dessert. The colder the milk the more it will froth.
- In a heat proof bowl, add the boiled water to the jelly powder and stir constantly to ensure that there are no undissolved granules.
- Allow the jelly to cool and thicken, about 20 minutes.
- Using an electric beater with whisk attachment or a stand mixer, whip the ideal milk in a high sided bowl for 10 minutes until light and foamy and doubled in volume.
- Add the cooled jelly and whisk on high for 2 minutes to combine.
- Add the yoghurt and fresh cream and fold lightly until everything is mixed through.
- At this point you may add the chopped fruit and fold through.
- Decant the mixture into a serving bowl and leave to set in the fridge for at least one hour before decorating with fresh cream and fruit.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information for the recipe is an approximation and varies according to the ingredients and products used.
Don’t forget to share the recipe with your family and friends and #tantalisemytastebuds if you share one of my recipes that you made on Instagram!
Want more? To get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, join our club and subscribe to Tantalise My Taste Buds.