Fiery Peri-Peri Garlic Marinade
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This gluten free Fiery Peri-Peri Garlic marinade is a flavorsome seasoning that infuses your choice of protein with the essence of zesty lemon, hot chili and cayenne.
- 125 ml olive oil
- 450 grams red onion, peeled and chopped approximately 2 large onions
- 300 grams red bell peppers, deseeded chopped approximately 2 large peppers
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 red birds eye chillies, sliced adjust for personal taste
- 5 ml cayenne pepper powder
- 60 grams tomato paste approximately 3 tablespoons
- 375 ml hot water
- 2 lemons juice and peel without pith
- 30 ml granulated sugar approximately 2 tablespoons
- 30 ml white grape vinegar approximately 2 tablespoons
- 10 ml salt approximately 2 teaspoons
Heat the oil in a medium size pot and add the chopped red onions, red bell pepper, sliced garlic, chilis and lemon peel and saute on medium for 15 -20 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Mix the tomato paste with 375 ml hot water.
Add the cayenne pepper powder, tomato paste mix, lemon juice and rind, sugar, vinegar and salt and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Check and adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat.
Blend the ingredients in a blender or use a stick blender to get the correct consistency without any lumps of vegetables.
Decant into a sterilized jar and allow to cool before use or refrigerating.
Use within 1 week.
- Other red chillies may be used if African birds eye chillies are not available.
- Substitute 25 ml honey for the granulated sugar to make it refined sugar free.
- This recipe makes 1 liter Fiery Peri-Peri Garlic marinade, enough for 2 - 2.5 kg of prawns, chicken or meat.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 369mg | Potassium: 271mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1245IU | Vitamin C: 78.6mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 0.8mg