Circassian chicken choux puffs
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
These Circassian chicken choux puffs have a filling of chicken and a sauce flavored with paprika, cumin, chili, garlic and thickened with ground walnuts.
- 1 quantity of choux pastry
- 1 cooked chicken breast poached or roasted chicken will do equally well as long as it is moist
- 250 ml few days old bread approximately 1 cup or 3 slices with crusts removed, not mouldy
- 60 ml chicken broth or hot water to soak the bread
- 140 grams walnuts smashed
- 2 cloves garlic smashed or finely grated
- 45 ml mayonnaise approximately 3 tablespoons
- 125 ml yoghurt approximately 1/2 cup
- 2.5 ml ground cumin approximately 1/2 teaspoon
- 1.25 ml black pepper approximately 1/4 teaspoon
- 1.25 ml chili flakes approximately 1/4 teaspoon
- 1.25 ml paprika
- 1.25 ml salt adjust to taste
- 2.5 ml paprika
- 5 ml parsley
Finely shred or chop the chicken breast into a bowl.
Soak the bread with 60 ml chicken broth. It should not be soggy so squeeze the excess liquid from the bread and crumble over the shredded chicken.
Place the garlic cloves in the corner of a plastic bag. Place the walnuts in the opposite corner.
With a pestle, smash the garlic until it is a fine paste then smash the walnuts until medium ground.
Mix the garlic and walnut paste smash together to meld the flavors.
Empty the contents into the bowl with the chicken and bread.
Add the mayonnaise, yoghurt, cumin, black pepper and chili flakes and mix until combined.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
If the mixture seems too stiff add more mayonnaise or yoghurt to reach the desired consistency. Do not make the chicken mixture too sloppy as it will make the choux puffs wet and soggy.
Fill the choux puffs and sprinkle with paprika and chopped herbs.
If a finer texture is preferred then the mixture may be ground in a blender.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 135mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1mg