Vegan Red Lentil soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Soaking time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Simple and nutritious vegan red lentil soup that makes delicious light meal
- 250 ml dried and split red lentils approximately 1 cup
- 60 ml olive oil divided, approximately ¼ cup
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 15 ml flour approximately 1 tablespoon
- 500 ml vegetable stock approximately 2 cups
- 500 ml water approximately 2 cups
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 1.25 ml chili flakes approximately ¼ teaspoon
- 2.5 ml Salt adjust to taste
- Black pepper
- 30 ml Parsley chopped
- 1/2 Lemon juice and rind, to taste
Rinse the lentils twice then soak for at least 2 hours.
Heat 30 ml of olive oil in a soup pot and sauté the onions until soft.
Add the flour and cook for 1 minute before adding the drained lentils, garlic and chili flakes.
Add the stock or water and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
Blend the soup until creamy and completely smooth. I used a stick blender.
Add the remaining 30 ml oil and blend until incorporated.
Adjust the thickness with more hot stock or water, if required.
Check the seasoning and add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and lemon zest and a wedge lemon.
Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 773mg | Potassium: 746mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3565IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 5.7mg