Home made Fish Masala spice blend
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
This small batch home made Fish Masala spice blend is pure, fragrant and contains no additives or fillers and is enough for 750 grams of fish.
- 15 ml coriander seeds approximately 1 level tablespoon
- 5 ml fennel seeds approximately 1 level teaspoon
- 5 ml cumin seeds approximately 1 level teaspoon
- 5 ml black peppercorns approximately 1 level teaspoon
- 4 cloves
- 15 ml red chili powder approximately 1 level tablespoon
- 2.5 ml garlic powder approximately 1/2 level teaspoon
- 2.5 ml ginger powder approximately 1/2 level teaspoon
- 2.5 ml cinnamon powder approximately 1/2 level teaspoon
- 2.5 ml turmeric powder approximately 1/2 level teaspoon
Dry roasting whole spices
Add the coriander, fennel, cumin, black peppercorns and cloves to a small pan dry clean pan and dry roast on medium heat until it smells fragrant.
Remove from the heat when you see the first wisps of smoke at about 2-3 minutes and continue to stir it off the heat in the pan to continue frying the spices.
Let the roasted whole spices cool before grinding.
If using a pestle and mortar, grind the spices until it is a fine powder, or as fine as you can.
If using an electric spice grinder, pulse the spices until it is a fine powder. Try not to let the motor run for so long that the spices start to heat up, as it ruins the flavor.
Add the chili powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and turmeric powder to a bowl and mix in the freshly ground spices.
Use immediately or decant into a container with an airtight lid and store until required.
Use a clean dry pan to dry roast the spices.
Serving: 5g | Calories: 14kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 580IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg