30 day Raisin Bran muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
These 30 day raisin bran muffins are delicious; wholesome, soft, moist and with the crunch of walnuts and a faint hint of ginger although no spice is added.
- 210 grams cake flour approximately 375 ml or 1 1/2 cups
- 140 grams high bran wholewheat flour approximately 250 ml or 1 cup
- 10 ml bicarbonate of soda approximately 2 teaspoons
- 5 ml salt
- 90 grams digestive bran approximately 500 ml or 2 cups
- 275 grams light soft brown sugar (Muscovado) approximately 435 ml or 1 3/4 cups
- 5 ml lemon rind, grated
- 150 grams raisins approximately 250 ml or 1 cup
- 125 grams pitted dates, chopped approximately 17 medium dried dates
- 110 grams walnuts, chopped approximately 250 ml or 1 cup (equivalent to 1 1/4 cup walnut halves)
- 2 large eggs approximately 70 grams each
- 500 ml milk approximately 2 cups
- 125 ml olive oil approximately 1/2 cup
- 5 ml vanilla extract approximately 1 teaspoon
Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and add the salt into a large bowl.
Empty the sifted bran into the bowl as well and add the other bran.
Add the raisins, chopped dates and walnuts and mix with the dry ingredients.
Rub the lemon rind into the sugar to release the essential oils and aromatics.
Whisk together the eggs, milk and oil and add the vanilla extract.
Add the egg mixture to the sugar and lemon rind and whisk for a minute to dissolve any sugar lumps.
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix lightly until just combined and still lumpy. Overmixing will make the muffin rubbery.
At this point you can cover and refrigerate the muffin batter until required (it lasts up to 30 days), or let it rest while you prepare the baking pans.
Heat the oven to 180 degree celcius or 160 if it is a fan assisted oven / 355 F / Gas mark 4.
Line a muffin tin with deep muffin liners and fill each liner at least two thirds of the way.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
For batter that has been refrigerated, spoon into the muffin liners and allow to come off the chill at room temperature for 10 minutes before baking.
Serve muffins warm or at room temperature with salted butter, jam and cheese.
- You can substitute melted coconut oil or sunflower oil for olive oil.
- For the high bran wholewheat flour I use Snowflake Nutty Wheat but you could use Graham Flour instead. I find that store bought wholewheat flour always goes bad easily or has weevils.
- I have made my own on occasion. For 250 grams whole wheat flour combine the following: 6.25 grams wheatgerm + 35 grams bran + 208.25 grams cake flour
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.2mg