This Veal Bacon and Gruyere tart is a lovely savory tart recipe for a breakfast treat, but is also ideal for a delicious light lunch or supper with a bit of salad on the side.
It features smoky milk-fed veal bacon and nutty gruyere cheese enriched by the addition of tangy crème fraiche. It will work equally well with any other smoked meat or turkey product having a similar texture to veal bacon.
My shortcrust pastry recipe is a perfect base for this savory Veal Bacon and Gruyere tart, but if you are short of time you may use ready rolled shortcrust or puff pastry for a quick and tasty meal for four or a snack for 12.
I made this for one of our Saturday morning breakfast training sessions because who can resist a cheese and bacon tart, and even the crumbs were eaten.
Veal bacon and gruyere tart
- 375 grams shortcrust pastry
- 10 ml olive oil approximately 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 medium sized white onion chopped
- 125 g veal bacon or turkey bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 125 g white button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 250 ml creme fraiche approximately 1 cup, at room temperature
- 500 ml grated gruyere cheese approximately 2 cups
- 1 ml salt to taste
- 2.5 ml freshly ground black pepper approximately 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius or 160 in a Fan assisted oven / 350 F / Gas mark 4.
- Roll the shortcrust pastry and line one round 25 cm tart pan. Prick the pastry and cover with parchment paper and fill with beans or baking beans.
- Bake blind for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Saute the onions until translucent then add the veal bacon. When the fat has rendered, add the mushrooms and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Lightly beat the eggs, then whisk in the creme fraiche, gruyere cheese, salt and pepper.
- Scatter the onion, mushrooms and veal mixture into the base of the cooled pastry case and carefully pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until the mixture has set and the top is golden.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information for the recipe is an approximation and varies according to the ingredients and products used.
Don’t forget to share the recipe with your family and friends and #tantalisemytastebuds if you share one of my recipes that you made on Instagram!
Want more? To get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, join our club and subscribe to Tantalise My Taste Buds.