The Ultimate Summer Salad with strawberries is one of my favorite easy summer salads that can be made in small servings but is also an excellent summer salad for a crowd.
It is crunchy, sweet, salty and tangy and is everything you expect in a healthy summer salad recipe; all the enjoyment and none of the guilt.
During summer, Sunday lunch in our home often became a big family gathering with impromptu guests. The menu usually included roast chicken or lamb chops and occasionally we would have a lovely braai (South African version of your back yard barbecue). My mother always insisted on having an array of healthy summer salad recipes to accompany the roasted or barbequed meat.
We would switch it up and either do this summer salad with strawberries, one of my mum’s summer green salad recipes or summer pasta salads for a crowd.
The ultimate Summer Salad with strawberries came about quite by accident during a very hot summer when we were fasting during Ramadhan. My late father preferred lighter meals for dinner when we were fasting, so we often had grilled meats and salads after iftar. On this particular evening my mother actually wanted to make a greek salad but we had no olives.
Instead, she tossed in sliced straweberries, stone and exotic fruits along with grapes and feta cheese and it soon became our favorite salad to have with meals. I love summer salad recipes with fruit and can’t imagine it without the combination of complimentary salty, tangy and sweet flavors.
Personally, I dislike salad dressings as I don’t like the taste and slick of oil on my salad greens. I love a balsamic dressing that is properly emulsified or a balsamic glaze and both go well with this salad. Alternately, I use a squeeze of lemon juice.
If you prefer a salad with more protein why not check out the vegetarian salad recipe or summer salad recipes with chicken or seafood below:
- Tricolor quinoa salad with pomegranate, walnuts and feta
- Chicken salad with cherry tomatoes, olives and artichokes
- Crayfish salad with avocado, red cabbage and cucumber?
Ultimate summer salad
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves or baby spinach
- 1 small cucumber
- 12 baby tomatoes I used cherry and grape tomatoes
- 12 grapes
- 12 strawberries hulled and halved
- 1 peach sliced
- 1 kiwi fruit I used golden kiwi
- 100 g Feta cheese cubed
- 1 small red onion sliced in rings
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- Rinse and dry the lettuce if required, slice cucumber and other fruits.
- Arrange the lettuce in the bottom of the serving platter or bowl.
- Slice the cucumber and arrange over the lettuce along with the cherry tomatoes.
- Slice the peach, kiwi and strawberries and arrange over the other ingredients.
- Scatter the grapes on the top
- Slice the red onion into rings and scatter over the top.
- Cut the feta into 2 cm cubes and add to the salad.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information for the recipe is an approximation and varies according to the ingredients and products used.
Don’t forget to share the recipe with your family and friends and #tantalisemytastebuds if you share one of my recipes that you made on Instagram!
Want more? To get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, join our club and subscribe to Tantalise My Taste Buds.