When I reviewed the stats for the Top 10 posts of 2017, I was pleasantly surprised at the posts that are most popular. Organic traffic has been growing steadily over the past year, so it seems the perfect time to reflect on the direction of the blog.
Seven of the top 10 posts of 2017 are favorite recipes amongst the Cape Malays of Cape Town and for me this is a celebration of Cape Malay food culture. It is also a testament to the need for an authentic online presence to champion this local cuisine.
I have grown tired of the cultural appropriation of Cape Malay cuisine by restaurants, journalists and cooks who seem to have no idea what ethnic Cape Malay food tastes like. It is now available on many restaurant menus in Cape Town touting local cuisine, yet all we have to show for it are complaints from ‘foodies’ that Cape Malay cuisine is ‘slightly overrated’.
One of my blog goals for 2018 is to publish and share with our readers more of the main courses that are beloved to us. These are mostly meat and vegetable stews eaten with rice. Amongst my favorites are:
- Denningvleis (Slow braised sweet and sour lamb)
- Cape Malay curry (less spicy but more subtle layering than Asian curries)
- Pickled fish with hot cross buns
- Cauliflower bredie (Cauliflower and meat stew)
- Oumens onder die Komberse or Kool Frikkkadel (Cabbage rolls with minced meat stuffing)
- Suiker Boontjie bredie (Bean and meat stew)
- Worteljies en Ertjies bredie (Carrot, peas and meat stew)
- Sago bredie (Sago and meat stew)
- Oxtail and tomato stew
- Tamatie pootjies (Trotters and tomato stew)
- Akhni (Chicken and rice)
Top 10 posts of 2017
To try any of the Top 10 recipes or travel tips please click on the links below.
- Cape Malay Potato Pudding recipe
- Best Glazed Orange Bundt Cake
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Falooda milkshake
- Cardamom Bollas with Saffron syrup
- Daltjies Spinach and Corn Fritters
- Almond and Coconut Bread
- Cape Malay Eid
- Top Travel Tips for any Traveller
Instagram Top 12
The Instagram Top 12 has been posted. You’re probably thinking ‘doesn’t this silly woman know it’s a Top 9’? The most popular posts include food, travel and being social.
Can you believe it’s almost New Year’s Eve and 2017 will fly out of the window in little over 24 hours. I have been seeing #topnine2017 and #bestnine2017 posts on my feed over the past few days and realized that I should do one before I forget (like last year) 😂My video allows 12 pics so it’s a top 12👍😌🎉 Click on the link in bio for the Top 10 blog posts @tantalisemytastebuds blog. . This has been a strange year by all accounts. From travel bans to droughts, the people of the world are under siege from many sides. I pray that 2018 will be a better year for all of us and that we will continue the fight against racist bigotry, extremism and fanaticism in all its forms and from all its sources. . For me it’s been a year of mental and emotional growth, of understanding my limits and embracing body positivity and a lifestyle based on moderation in all aspects of life. . Instagram posts of 2017 embrace all the aspects of my life including recipe development, travel and a more sociable lifestyle than before. For the coming year there will be more recipes, more travel and wellness features on the blog and social media to keep us all informed and entertained. . What are your goals and plans for 2018? Let me know in the comments . . . . _________________________________________________ @cntraveler @bbcgoodfoodmiddleeast @nat.geo.travel @cntravelerme @natgeopeopleasia @natgeo_people @zomatouae @friday_magazine @timeoutdubai @igerscapetown @cntraveler @bbc_travel @natgeotravel @natgeopeopleasia @instagramcapetown @westcoastwaysa #instagoodmyphoto #justgoshoot #nourish #peoplescreatives #foodporn #thebakefeed #hautecuisines #TODAYfood #festive #Christmas #thedailybite #huffposttaste #tastespotting #feedfeed #eeeeeats #f52grams #inmykitchen #eatfamous #thekitchn #cookit #eattheworld #lifeandtyme #theartofslowliving #buzzfeast #foodblogfeed #foodblogeats #instafood #tasteintravel
Areas of focus for 2018
During 2017 my published posts have been much less frequent than my writing would suggest. Now that I have my home office set up there is no excuse for slacking in the new year and I have laid out the following areas of improvement with measurable goals to achieve.
1. Be more organized
- Utilise an editorial calendar to plan and schedule blog posts a month in advance
- Finalise 1 existing draft blog post every week and have it ready for publication
- Edit all photos within 7 days of taking them and export ready for use
- Utilise a Virtual Assistant for social media promotion activities
2. Increased publishing frequency
- 2 Recipe posts per month
- 1 Travel post per month
- 1 Wellness post per month
3. Consistent promotion of blog posts to drive more traffic
- Tweet at least once per day
- Post on Instagram at least once per day
- Post on Facebook at least once per day
- Promote new blog posts on social media
4. Personal growth and learning
- Learn how make eye catching pins for new blog posts
- Shoot and edit a recipe video and then do one for every recipe post thereafter
- Take a course (cooking / videography)
To all our loyal readers and new visitors, I hope that you will join us for the ride in 2018. If you are wondering who ‘Us’ is, we are gaining a Contributor who also happens to be a recipe tester for Tantalise My Taste Buds. Introductions to follow in the new year.
Help me to provide you with more recipes, travel tips and experiences by sharing these posts with your family and friends, and please remember to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
Want more? To get new recipes and travel posts delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe to Tantalise My Taste Buds.