This fragrant Dairy Free Creamy Chicken Soup with coconut milk has a lightly spiced broth infused with garlic, ginger and turmeric and flavored with lemongrass for a lighter version of cream of chicken soup.
This is such a simple dairy free creamy chicken soup with a perfect balance of spicy, salty, sweet and sour flavors
This non dairy creamy chicken soup is perfect for those who are lactose intolerant and was developed in response to my niece’s reaction to a cow’s milk based chicken and corn soup a few years ago.
On the last night of Ramadan she enjoyed a bowl of chicken soup that had cow’s milk added to it. When we reached her grandmother’s house for Eid lunch the following day I noticed that she was listless and cranky, which was unusual for a toddler with such a pleasant disposition. I’m sure if she could talk at that time she would have expressed very succinctly how sick she was feeling.
Her mother mentioned that she had enjoyed the chicken and corn soup at iftar the night before, and had become uncomfortable soon after. She had spent much of the night with nausea, stomach pain and cramping and occasional vomiting.
She was so miserable when I saw her that she didn’t even want to be hugged or cuddled. I had experienced a similar reaction to lactose as an adult (after having two iced coffees with uncooked milk at a Waterfront cafe the previous holiday) and could practically feel her pain.
How to make Dairy free creamy chicken soup with coconut milk
- The first and most important step is to prepare the ingredients before you start the cook.
- Slice the onions and mince the garlic, ginger and the lower end of lemon grass stalk.
- Sauté the onions with the garlic and ginger before adding the turmeric powder, chilli, lemongrass and corn kernels.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar and simmer on low to let the flavors meld.
- Blend the mixture with a stick blender for a smooth consistency.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook through to warm the chicken, then serve and enjoy.
What to eat with Dairy Free Creamy Chicken soup
- Homemade Farmhouse White Bread recipe
- Gluten Free Keto Almond Coconut bread
- South African Pancake recipe (pannekoek resep)
- Cape Malay Mashed Pumpkin fritters recipe (Pampoen koekies)
- Delectable Mince Samoosa recipe (keema samosa)
- Scrumptious Chicken Samoosa recipe
- Cape Malay Daltjies (Chilli bites)
Dairy Free Creamy Chicken soup
- 500 grams skinless chicken breasts approximately 3 breasts
- 1 red chili, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 7.5 ml salt approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons
Coconut soup broth
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil approximately 2 tablespoons
- 200 grams brown onion, finely chopped approximately 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger peeled and grated
- 1 ml turmeric powder approximately 1/5 teaspoon
- 1 red chili, minced
- 5 ml lemongrass, minced approximately 1 teaspoon
- 375 ml corn kernels approximately 2 ears or 1 1/2 cups, fresh or frozen
- 400 ml coconut milk 1 can
- 500 ml chicken stock approximately 2 cups
- 5 ml fish sauce approximately 1 teaspoon
- 15 ml lime juice approximately 1 tablespoon
- 5 ml sugar approximately 1 teaspoon
- 60 ml coriander leaves approximately 1/4 cup
- 60 ml toasted coconut shavings approximately 1/4 cup
- lime wedges
How to poach chicken breasts
- Place the chicken breasts in a pan over medium heat with the sliced garlic, chilli, salt and enough water to cover the breasts.
- Bring to the boil then immediately reduce the heat to low. Cook on low for 10-12 minutes then remove the pan from the heat.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the poaching liquid and shred when cooler.
How to make coconut soup broth
- In a medium size pot sauté the chopped onions, garlic and grated ginger in olive oil for 15 minutes until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili, lemon grass and sweet corn and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar and simmer for 10 minutes on low.
- Blend with a stick blender for a smooth consistency, if desired, although it is not required.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken and adjust the seasoning then warm through for another few minutes.
- Garnish and serve hot.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information for the recipe is an approximation and varies according to the ingredients and products used.
If you liked the recipe above please consider rating the recipe and leaving a comment below. Also keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more updates.
Don’t forget to share the recipe with your family and friends and #tantalisemytastebuds if you share one of my recipes that you made on Instagram!
Want more? To get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, join our club and subscribe to Tantalise My Taste Buds.