I first made these Easy Banana pancakes with mixed berries after smelling the aroma of ripe bananas coming from the pantry next to my office, and having inexplicable craving for banana pancakes.
It’s not something that I ordinarily make for breakfast but I decided that enough is enough, I am making my own banana pancakes!
Banana pancakes are usually a bit boring and I paired it with mixed berries for some flavor contrast. I wondered whether the same batter could be used for banana fritters and adapted it slightly for my Banana fritters recipe.
When one of my cousins visited en route to her visit her kids in the UK, I made these pancakes for her and she loved them so much she took the leftovers with her for them to taste.
How to make easy banana pancakes tasty
- Use overripe bananas to add depth of flavor and intense sweetness.
- Add a little lemon juice is to prevent the banana discoloring.
- Adding the melted butter to the batter gives it a soft and tender crumb.
To make these pancakes vegan, you can use an egg substitute like a flaxseed egg. A flaxseed egg can be made using 12.5 ml ground flaxseed whisked with 45 ml water until it becomes gelatinous.
For gluten free banana pancakes you can use gluten free flour blends or make these banana pancakes with oats that have been ground to flour.
I have tried 3 ingredient banana pancakes and though they are edible, I find them much too eggy for my liking.
If pancakes are not your thing check out these other breakfast options:
- Almond and coconut breakfast pancakes
- Overnight Dairy Free muesli and Oats
- Greek yogurt and Granola breakfast bowl
- Moist blueberry muffins
- 30 Day Raisin bran muffins
- Low carb healthy berry smoothie
Easy Banana pancakes with mixed berries
- 260 grams banana approximately 2 extra large banana
- 2.5 ml lemon juice approximately 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 egg large
- 30 ml fine granulated sugar approximately 2 tablespoons
- 187 grams cake flour, sifted approximately 330ml or 1 1/3 cups
- 10 ml baking powder approximately 2 level teaspoons
- 250 ml milk
- 30 ml butter melted (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1.25 ml salt adjust to taste
- 30 ml oil or butter to brush the pan
- 250 ml mixed berries strawberries, blackberries, raspberries for serving
- 60 ml Maple syrup or honey as required
- In a medium size bowl break up the banana then mash it with a fork until mostly smooth with a few small lumps.
- Add the lemon juice to prevent the banana browning.
- Add the egg and sugar and whisk together until combined.
- Add the milk and mix lightly.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder and salt and mix until combined but not smooth.
- Lastly add the melted butter.
- Take care not to over mix.
To cook the pancakes
- Heat the pan on medium and brush oil onto the surface of the pan, then wipe it off with a piece of paper towel.
- Drop 60ml or 1/4 cup per pancake onto the hot surface.
- When it starts to bubble, flip the pancake and cook for another 30 seconds on the other side.
- Serve with mixed fresh berries and maple syrup.
- To make it a bit more wholesome, you may replace 1/2 cup of the flour with wholewheat flour or oat flour. This may require additional milk.
- If you don't want to use maple syrup, cut up the strawberries and add some honey or granulated sugar before adding the rest of the berries. Allow to macerate for at least 20 minutes before using.
Don’t forget to share the recipe with your family and friends and #tantalisemytastebuds if you share one of my recipes that you made on Instagram!
Want more? To get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, join our club and subscribe to Tantalise My Taste Buds.