This orange and almond cake is moist, flavorful and gluten free and is made with whole oranges that have been simmered for two hours to remove the bitterness from the peel.
The recipe is adapted from Claudia Roden’s Orange and Almond cake found here.
I must confess that I changed the preparation method indicated in the original recipe. I used a stand beater to beat the eggs and the sugar until it was light and frothy and then added the orange puree and dry ingredients. It resulted in a very light textured cake.
Almond flour does not have the structure to hold on to the rise of the eggs so you may find that there is some subsidence when the cake is cooling. Do not be alarmed!
- 2 oranges - 500 grams total weight
- 250 grams almond flour / meal
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 6 large eggs
- 250 grams fine granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flaked or slivered almonds
- Wash the whole fruit and place in a large pot without peeling.
- Cover with water and bring to the boil, boiling for two hours. Check the water level after an hour and top up if necessary.
- Remove the fruit and leave to cool to room temperature.
- When the fruits are cooled puree them until fine. This can be done ahead of time.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees Celcius or 170 fan / 375 F / Gas mark 5.
- Grease and flour a 20 cm baking round springform cake tin or two loaf tins.
- Sift the almond flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until the eggs have increased in volume and are light in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and citrus fruit puree and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients until all are combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake pan and tap on the counter twice to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake on a lower shelf for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Check after 50 mins.
- Loaves may require a shorter baking time so check after 40 mins.
- If the cake seems to be browning too quickly cover with a sheet of parchment paper.
Don’t like gluten free and fat free cakes? Why not try out this Orange cake recipe made with butter and cake flour?