These 30 day raisin bran muffins are filled with dried fruits and nuts; wholesome, soft, moist and tasting faintly of ginger spice even though no spices are added. It is best baked a day after the mixture is made as the ingredients have had time to soften and flavors have infused.
I was at high school when a family friend first gave me this recipe that she was making as part of a healthy eating plan she had embarked on. I was not sure what to expect, but since we all liked muffins I tried it, and was not disappointed. It was also a favorite of my teenage Saturday cake stall customers.
Somewhere along the line when my product range expanded we stopped making this as much and the recipe was lost. I was so pleased when I received my Ultimate Snowflake Collection recipe book written by Heilie Pienaar, earlier this month, and saw that she has a similar recipe to the one I recall from my youth.
- 210 grams cake flour (approximately 375 ml or 1½ cups)
- 250 ml wholewheat flour
- 10 ml bicarbonate of soda (approximately 2 teaspoons)
- 5 ml salt
- 500 ml digestive bran
- 255 grams soft brown sugar (approximately 375 ml or 1½ cups)
- 250 ml raisens
- 125 grams pitted dates, chopped
- 110 grams walnuts, chopped (approximately 250 ml or 1 cup)
- 2 extra large eggs
- 500 ml milk (approximately 2 cups)
- 125 ml cooking oil (approximately ½ cup)
- 5ml vanilla extract (approximately 1 teaspoons)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius or 160 if it is a fan assisted oven.
- Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and digestive bran and add the salt. Empty the sifted bran into the bowl as well.
- Add the raisens, chopped dates and walnuts and mix with the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and oil and add the vanilla extract.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix lightly until just combined and still lumpy.
- Overmixing will make the muffin rubbery.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins, filling at least two thirds of the way.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
6.25 grams wheatgerm + 35 grams bran + 208.25 grams cake flour